Procrastination starts in my title when you know that blog is out you think that should read this right now or maybe tomorrow, when tomorrow comes it will become the day after tomorrow, and so on…
It is avoidance of a task that needs to be done no matter how much you avoid it but in the end, you will to complete that task. You are engaging yourself in things which you like and ignore those that are not important that cause delaying of your urgent work. For example, you have a presentation to make and you are busy doing some lame chores of yours.
According to Joseph Ferrari, a professor of psychology at DePaul University in Chicago and author of “Still Procrastinating: The No Regret Guide to Getting It Done,” around 20% of U.S. adults are chronic procrastinators.
“To tell the chronic procrastinator to just do it would be like saying to a clinically depressed person, cheer up.”
Types Of Procrastination
- Passive Procrastinators: Delay the task because they have trouble making decisions and acting on them
- Active Procrastinators: Delay the task purposefully because working under pressure allows them to “feel challenged and motivated”
Causes of Procrastination
- Rewards that are far from the future.
- Indecisiveness. One procrastinates because he/she is unable to make decisions in time. The more options you have the harder the decision to make.
- Feeling of being overwhelmed. One may feel overwhelmed because of all the work he had.
- You may procrastinate because you feel anxious about the particular task that need to be done.
- If you are perfectionist you unable unable to start their work until they’ll 100% sure about what they actually want otherwise you’ll procrastinate.
- You procrastinate because you are afraid of failure in the task, fear of failure and perfectionism has a strong link between them.
- You will procrastinate when you find tasks uninterested.
- You will procrastinate when you get distracted very easily during their tasks.
- If you don’t have strict deadlines they are likely to procrastinate.
|1. Procrastination is when you choose to do other task instead of task you should be really doing.||1. Lazziness is when you are unwilling to do work.|
|2. In Procrastination you choose to ignore the important task.||2. In Lazziness you show apathy and inactivity to do work.|
|3. Procrastination is you are delaying that task.||3. Lazziness is straight that you don’t want to do any task.|
Ways To Prevent Procrastination
You need to arrange the things, and it’s affairs according to specific schedules. You need to manage the time according to the timetable so you’ll less likely to procrastinate.
Nature Of Procrastination
You need to know the nature of procrastinating, why you are actually doing that, and figure out the nature what is the exact problem. You can identify this by realizing when you procrastinate, what is the time, what is the situation, when you did that, and most importantly why you did that.
Get Rid Of Distraction
Nowadays we are living in an era of social media so people got distracted very easily just by getting a notification you want to check their mobile what they got. There are a few things to do in order to limit distraction.
- The set time limit for apps
- Put your cell out of your sight while you were working on a project.
- Focus on the small parts don’t focus on the larger part people get distracted by this.
- Control your inner distractions as well these are something that remains with people the whole time, so have a proper timetable, should have a proper place, a table, etc.
Time To Yourself
When you have a lot of workloads and chores to do, so you can’t complete the work without break. Neither do the work continuously because that caused mental fatigue as well and you will definitely procrastinate? So spend some time alone with yourself that’s good for your mental health as well.
In order to keep yourselves motivate you need to use reinforcements for yourselves for example if I complete an assignment on time then I’ll watch my favorite show on Netflix or I’ll eat ice cream of my favorite flavor.
Hard Stuff Done First
The most difficult thing needs to be done first because when you start your work you have energy and you are usually willing to solve the difficult tasks at first so the worrisome stuff will be off from the table and the easy stuff left on a plate.
- American Psychological Association. The Psychology of Procrastination: Why People Put Off Important Tasks Until the Last Minute. 2010.
- Zohar AH, Shimone LP, Hen M. 2019. Active and passive procrastination in terms of temperament and character. PeerJ 7:e6988 https://doi.org/10.7717/peerj.6988
2 thoughts on “Procrastination (Should I Read this Now or Maybe Later)”
Great! Find it really helpful.
Thank you for your response